Hungary is helping
The Hungary Helps Agency
The Hungary Helps Agency was established on 14th April 2019 based on Act CXX of 2018 on the Hungary Helps Program. The Hungary Helps Agency is a governmental agency which works as a non-profit organization under the coordination of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary.
As a governmental agency, our organization is working in the spirit of Hungary’s Fundamental Law, emphasizing the importance of respect for other nations’ freedom and culture. We are aiming to cooperate with all nations of the world while respecting and preserving their dignity.
Our objective is to provide efficient help responding to local needs while still adhering to basic humanitarian principles and human rights. We design our projects based on the reports of local community representatives and implement them with local partners, primarily with local Faith-Based and Non-Governmental Organizations.
The mission of the Hungary Helps Agency is to deliver aid to crisis-affected communities and to ensure that donations are utilised in a professional and efficient way thus representing the solidarity of the Hungarian people.
Our responsibilities are as follows:
- we provide prompt and efficient assistance through international humanitarian aid programs, donations and subsidy contracts thus reacting to needs arising in crisis zones;
- we manage humanitarian and development projects, implement subsidies’ pay-off, follow-up on transactions, necessary financial and technical coordination and monitoring; we ensure transparency and efficiency and prepare reports about our activities;
- we are focusing on the most vulnerable groups: through our assistance and donations, we provide support to victims of humanitarian crises, both natural and man-made, with special but not exclusive emphasis on persecuted religious groups. We recognise that freedom of religion is a universal and fundamental human right.
- we cooperate with other agencies, we take part in the implementation of bilateral and multilateral humanitarian development aid projects and policies together with humanitarian organisations of partner countries, especially from the V4 and EU region;
- fundraising: due to the increasing international recognition of the Hungary Helps Program and the growing number of partners wishing to join and participate, the Agency collects and manages donations from private donors also to implement specific projects;
- in cooperation with our local partners, we plan how humanitarian subsidies are being utilised and perform regular on-site monitoring.